OS X Yosemite is a solid update for Mac users. For web-development I use:
- installed using macPorts: Apache2 + PHP5.5 + Mysql 5.6 + php libs
- phpStorm 8
Anyway, you should make backups for all important files. I had bad experience with updating to OS X Mavericks when I had to reinstall OS, but luckily I had backups for the most important data.
Let’s try to update.
I suppose you have already made backups. Additionally, I would recommend to make backup for OS X installation image. If something goes wrong, You won’t have to download it again. You can find OS X installation image in «Applications» folder after downloading from App Store.
- Update MacPorts:
- Disconnect all external devices.
- Launch installation package of new OS X (updating takes about 15-20 minutes)
- PhpStorm 8 will not work — requires JavaSE6. You can install it from: support.apple.com;
- MacPorts will not work. Install update from: distfiles.macports.org;
- Launch XCode and install all updates;
- Agree to Xcode license in Terminal:
- Update MacPorts;
- Check your applications, some of them you will have to update;
This time I didn’t have any problems during update process and with my development environment. All procedures took about 30-40 minutes.
Basically, thats all. Enjoy.